Wow! Moog is rereleasing the very cool Taurus Bass Pedals, as used by Rush’s Geddy Lee, Yngwie Malmsteen, and a whole bunch of other guys. Essentially the foot pedals of an organ, you can use these to create pedal tones to solo over or, if you’re sitting down or are a bit of a dancer, to play actual bass lines.
I first read about this on the awesome Premier Guitar
Here’s the press release:
Asheville, N.C. (December 4, 2008) — Decades after their famous run in the seventies, Taurus Bass Pedals are still highly sought after among collectors. They’ve been known to sell for as much as $5,000 on eBay. Now Moog Music is bringing back the Taurus Bass Pedals in a limited edition quantity for a limited time only.
The new edition reproduces the Taurus I sound engine, combining it with modern features, rugged construction and an affordable price. However, only 1000 of these new Taurus pedals will be built; the first 250 customers to order one will receive a $300 discount from the $1995 price (a $500 deposit is required).
The Taurus Bass Pedals offer ends on February 15, 2009, and Moog expects to ship the pedals in the fourth quarter of 2009.
Preliminary specifications include:
• 100% Analog Sound Engine based entirely on original TAURUS I circuits
• “Taurus I” style (one and half octaves on the floor)
• 2 VCO Oscillators, ADS Contour Generator, 1 VCF Filter, Output VCA
• Presets: 16 Banks x 4 presets = 48 Total Programmable Bass Sounds
• Bank 0 contains the Original Taurus I Presets: Var, Taurus, Tuba and Bass
• Midi: Din and USB, Merging and Routing
• Arpeggiator: Midi Sync and Tap Tempo (Internal)
• CV Inputs: Volume, Filter, Pitch and Gate